Last week, we introduced Microsoft Viva Engage, an evolution of the current Yammer Communities app for Microsoft Teams. Beyond community and virtual event experiences, it also features new consumer-like expression capabilities called Storyline and Stories, making it easier for employees to connect with colleagues and share and socialize their thoughts through conversations, images, and videos — similar to how they do within their personal social platforms.
Based on our initial conversations with customers, partners, and our product teams, we’ve heard some similarities about how to prepare for the upcoming change with Viva Engage. Here’s a list of things that network admins, community managers, and stakeholders can do to get ready for Viva Engage coming this August.
1. Watch the playback of the latest Yammer Best Practices call and learn about Viva Engage, what’s coming and when, and see a live demo of the new Viva Engage experiences, including storyline and stories. Many questions were asked and answered by our product teams. The recording is available here. Download the slides here.
3. Inform community admins that this change is coming. Let community admins know to prepare for Viva Engage. For example, branded communities are very useful to help bring recognition when navigating between communities and feeds within Viva Engage. If they haven’t already, encourage community admins to upload cover photos, edit information about the community, and upload community icons. Communities with icons will be easily recognizable on the right rail in the list of communities.
5.Help your users understand their notifications in Microsoft Teams. With the Viva Engage app installed, users will receive notifications in the Activity feed in Teams. By selecting the setting wheel in their Activity Feed, users can choose which Viva Engage notifications will appear, including Storyline.
6. Use the opportunity to re-invigorate Yammer communities. Use the launch of Viva Engage and the Storyline capability to drive excitement and engagement in your Yammer network. For example: A) Help leaders to start posting on their Storyline. B) Create enthusiasm among your new hires with the Viva Engage app in Teams. C) Run a campaign to encourage users to add a cover photo to their Storyline. Use the opportunity to demonstrate the value that communities bring to your organization.
7. Update and review your Yammer governance, strategy, and user terms. Along with using Viva Engage to help you attract new users to your Yammer network, take the opportunity to review your current Yammer governance – how do you support community admins? How do you clean up old communities? How do you allow users to create new communities? You can also use the opportunity to review and update your usage policy or even to review your entire Yammer strategy. Need some good starting points? Watch our Customer Best Practices session on making Yammer a success.
9. Download the Microsoft Teams mobile app to access Viva Engage. The Communities app in Teams in iOS and Android will also be rebranded to Viva Engage, however the UX remains largely the same. Learn more about the mobile app here.
10. Plan your Viva Engage integrations across the Microsoft Viva Employee Experience suite. Viva Engage is a great place to start your Microsoft Viva Employee Experience journey. By deploying Viva Engage, you will create dynamic two-way engagement that adds richness and further personalization in Viva Connections. The Viva Engage connection to Viva Topics enables social knowledge and conversation to complement your more static organizational knowledge (such as files).