When is local MS Teams cache invalidated?

Occasional Contributor

It seems the local MS Teams cache doesn't invalidate, when it possibly should.

For example: a colleague had updated their O365 profile picture, and this change was not reflected in my local MS Teams client for a number of days. Manually clearing the cache resolved the issue.

Likewise, I've had made a typo creating a new user in our organization and later renamed said user to remove the typo. This had happened almost a month ago. Unfortunately people who already talked to said user before I fixed the typo STILL see this user with the old name.

MS Teams badly needs some better cache invalidation / cleaning. Alternatively, a built-in button to let the user clear the cache on demand (I know it's possible to clean the cache manually but this isn't very user friendly).

I don't suppose there's a way to force users in our org. to automatically refresh their Teams cache? Alternatively, is the cache ever invalidated? If so, when?

2 Replies

Yup, I've had numerous issues that stem from the improper handling of caching, even the browser apps seem to suffer from those. So much that clearing it has turned into a standard troubleshooting step.

If you are managing the devices, you can force-clean the entire Teams directory under %appdata%.

@Mateusz Bender Hello Mateusz, there's a UserVoice for the inconvenience of manually have to clear the cache. Go vote it up!

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/34320940-clear-local-cache-but...

www.000webhost.com