SOLVED

Teams Video call Custom Backgrounds - Release date?

Contributor

Hi,

Is there a release date for Teams custom backgrounds for use on video calls?

It was announced earlier this year with a release date of "later this year" but I've seen nothing more concrete since?

Thanks

Paul

55 Replies

@seanwindremThanks!  This certainly worked for me.  On a Mac the path is:

/Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds/Uploads/

However, I'm surprised there isn't a button to upload your own image somewhere in the interface.  It's a bit kludgy.  Hopefully Microsoft will make this a little easier to use.

More info here

https://office365itpros.com/2020/04/06/teams-meeting-background-image/

The official ability for you to use custom backgrounds is coming in May.

@PJR_CDF Rollout starts Mid April according to message centre.

@Steven Collier 

Mid April for you to select from one of eight pre chosen Microsoft backgrounds

May to be able to officially choose your own custom backgrounds.

@thinkbusiness You need to think out of the box.  Open your mind

@Steven Collier 

How will I know that this new feature, custom or pre-chosen backgrounds was deployed to me?  Is there a desktop version I should be looking out for?

This is what I am currently on: 

You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.4461 (64-bit). It was last updated on 3/6/20.

How do I know when a newer version is available? Windows update says I'm up to date. Is this possible?

looking at the online version of teams, and there is no sign of a custom background there either. what am I to look for to see if it is available?

thank you

It around April 20 and a second update that allows you to add your own backgrounds in May

Thanks

Anthony

I updated my Teams client to 1.3.00.8663 (64 bit) today and now have a wide selection of pre provided (by Microsoft) backgrounds to select from. :smile::cool:

@GVidalis 
Custom Backgrounds is here :)
April 2020 it was ! 
OWN custom backgrounds ( picture only ) is almost here - just put them in folder
C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads 

Next steps , i.e loops ? Asking too much ?  

@tassenza, in a meeting choose the more button (3 dots) and click show background effects.  There are currently 25 to choose from and you'll be allowed to upload your own coming in May.

@Jeffrey Allen thank you - I figured it would be there during a meeting (in place of blur) - was looking to see if it was a setting that can be set as a default background outside of the meeting.  There is really no indication that it exists unless you are in a meeting.

I also found this directory now, where I put my custom backgrounds and they are also there and available to pick from... well before May.  Drop as many of your own backgrounds in there and you are free to use them now.

C:\Users\"USER NAME"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads 

Be well,

Tom

Hello @Jeffrey Allen: I have the latest version of Teams (1.3.00.8663); nevertheless, I don't see that options in my "More Options" menu... Any ideas what could be wrong in my Teams (computer maybe). I have a Thinkpad T530 laptop.

Did the backgrounds folder get created during install/update of Teams.  I'm on Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.8663 (64-bit) and I don't have the backgrounds folder.  I navigated in the finder to here:

/Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/

@Fernando Rodriguez most likely your laptops CPU won't support background replacement. There are a number of different CPU used on the T530, but they are all pretty much from a generation that didn't support AVX2. Sorry there's no solution to that, other than getting a more recent laptop. 

@HIPRM  try c:\user\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads\

Hey @GVidalis it seems @HIPRM is on a Mac...
www.000webhost.com