SOLVED

OneNote error 30108 in Teams

Occasional Contributor

For the past few days, users in our environment have been reporting an issue accessing or adding a OneNote tab in Teams channels, or opening their personal OneNote notebook within Teams.

They receive the following error message:

"Sorry, we had trouble getting your notebooks.
Error Response: OneDrive for Business for this user account cannot be retrieved.
Error Code: 30108"

OLM_Dan_0-1651247853345.png

I can recreate the error with my own account, and it appears to be tenant wide.  Even our DEV tenant gives the same error when trying to add a OneNote tab.

This occurs in both the Teams Desktop App and Web App.

We are a GCC Tenant, and do have OneDrive setup for all our users.

The work around I have been having user do is going to their files tab in teams and opening the notebook directly from their OneDrive.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

3 Replies

@OLM_Dan Past entries in this community indicate that the issue resolved itself on its own, but I also found this old post from answers.microsoft.com: OneNote Importer Error 30108 - Microsoft Community

@Therese_Solimeno 

Thanks for the replay.
Yes, I did also find some similar post from others (not all exactly the same).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/add-a-tab-with-ms-onenote-error-code-30108/22c...

and

https://gorovian.000webhostapp.com/?exam=t5/microsoft-365-apps-for/onenote-tab-in-teams-error-response-on...

One thread did say it resolved "magically", back in Aug of 2021.
The other points to OneDrive not being setup for a user.

I can confirm my OneDrive, as well as others, have been setup and working for a while.
I did follow the step suggested in one post anyhow and logged into my OneDrive drive from the web app, and then to my OneNote from the WebApp.
When I try to create a new Notebook in OneNote, I get a message that my OneDrive is not set up.
"Your OneDrive is not set up
Before you can use OneNote, first you need to go set up your OneDrive."

OLM_Dan_0-1651255407455.png

I clearly have OneDrive setup and even other OneNote Notebooks saved to OneDrive already.

OLM_Dan_1-1651255743851.png

It would be great if it resolved itself on its own, but that's not a great answer to give my customers.

Update:

Just wanted to add, other Web Apps like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint have not issues saving new documents to OneDrive.

best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

I ended up opening a Service Request ticket in our M365 portal.
After working with a Microsoft support engineer on the issue, collecting logs, screenshots, and recordings of the behavior, this morning the issue is resolved.
I am waiting to hear back from the support agent on what the fix was from their side. I will update this thread when I have more info.

Update:

I received the official resolution from the Microsoft Agent.
"the issue was just a one off (more like a glitch in some tenants) , This support line is a break and fix team and do not provide Root Cause Analysis on issues."