Occasional Visitor

I've doing some testing on a system to identify the impact that Bitlocker Encryption has on the read/write performance and the results have been interesting to say the least; I'm hoping someone can help to explain my findings.

I'm using an entry level server with quad core Xeon E-2224 CPU and 16GB RAM which has Windows Sever 2016 Standard installed - and it's a totally fresh Windows install with all of the latest relevant drivers are installed.

My storage array is configured through the integrated controller on the motherboard and is across 4 x 10TB WD Enterprise disks configured as follows:

RAID Level

RAID5

Legacy Disk Geometry (C/H/S)

65535/255/32

Strip Size

64 KiB

Full Stripe Size

192 KiB

Disk 0

WDC WD102KRYZ-0

Disk 1

WDC WD102KRYZ-0

Disk 2

WDC WD102KRYZ-0

Disk 3

WDC WD102KRYZ-0

I've provisioned a single large logical volume and I've created two partitions for my testing as follows:

Drive

Capacity

File System

Allocation Unit Size

Y:

100 GB

NTFS

4096 bytes

Z:

25,600 GB

NTFS

8192 bytes

I ran an array of tests (results attached) on the volumes before encryption, then reformatted and encrypted the volumes and same tests again.

The results have been very interesting, I was expecting to see a small performance hit across all tests due to Bitlocker, but what I found was that some tests had a drastic performance decrease, in some cases up to 50%, and surprisingly some tests showed an increase in performance, in one case an increase of 60%.

Can anyone help to explain this?  I'm thinking of running the tests again with another product to see if I get similar results, but what I'm using is fairly robust/reliable from my experience.

Findings are in the spreadsheet attached.

We support Ukraine and condemn war. Push Russian government to act against war. Be brave, vocal and show your support to Ukraine. Follow the latest news HERE