Honored Contributor

There needs to be that button so we won't have to restart our computer in order to lock a drive. OR an auto-lock feature so the drive will get locked if not accessed for X minutes.

Upvote this feedback if you agree: https://aka.ms/AA5ufg0

@HotCakeX 

Upvoted, though to be honest most times a bit-locker drive is unlocked I'd hope that the user would retain control of their session and not have someone unauthorised jump on and access sensitive data. I'm sure there a use-cases I haven't thought of though.

Just in case your not aware, as a workaround you can lock via command prompt and powershell

Command prompt (assuming D: is the Bitlocker drive): manage-bde -lock "D:"

Powershell (assuming D: is the Bitlocker drive): Lock-BitLocker -MountPoint "D:\"

Bit of a hassle, but hopefully potentially save you some extra reboots. :smile:

Thanks. yes I knew about the command but as an insider tester I put myself instead of majority of Windows 10 users that rely on the GUI.
I had hoped that at least a logout from Windows account would have locked the Bitlocker drive but then i found out Bitlocker is a system wide encryption, it doesn't care about the user account.
another feature I hope to see in the next version of Windows is the ability to lock a single folder.
for those kinds of flexibility i keep using VeraCrypt, at least until Microsoft adds those basic features.

@HotCakeX wrote:

I had hoped that at least a logout from Windows account would have locked the Bitlocker drive but then i found out Bitlocker is a system wide encryption, it doesn't care about the user account.

Well TIL that logging out doesn't lock the drive - we've been using Bitlocker mostly for OS disk and Bitlocker to Go with USBs on the understanding that once a user is finished with it they'll eject it out and get prompted if they add it back on - but of course this isn't very helpful for fixed HDD/SSDs. Didn't realise that a drive stays unlocked between user sessions.

We support Ukraine and condemn war. Push Russian government to act against war. Be brave, vocal and show your support to Ukraine. Follow the latest news HERE