Sharing excel spreadsheets with formula

Occasional Visitor

I'm using Office 365. I have a listing of 500 different Epiphyllum (that is a type of plant). The spreadsheet has a formula that allows me to type in a name or partial name and it searches the spreadsheet and displays every file that has a matching name in it. 

It works really great, and I want to share it with some of my friends either through email, by posting it on a WordPress website, using OneDrive or something else.

I tried emailing it to them however the formula does not work when it is emailed. I thought I would put it up on OneDrive but I get an error message saying ActiveX Controls are not supported.

Is there a way to share excel documents with formula? 

I do not care if I must buy some software to be able to do this if it is not a lot. I do not know if it is even possible to do what I want.  By the way I'm only functional in Excel, WordPress, etc so complex solutions are out of the question.

Thank you in advance

1 Reply

@Gilbert_O_Hatfield 

If I had to guess, your file contains VBA macros since you are using ActiveX controls.

Operating system I assume it's Windows 10, since most OneDrive with Windows use it (just an assumption).

In this case, you should consider the following.

Although Excel for web can run macros, it cannot forward them if the file is saved in Excel for web and is then to be forwarded. This is especially true if the file is in OneDrive or Sharepoint.

Your file was probably created with an Excel subscription version or pre-installed version on the PC and not with Excel for web.

At the same time, macros are blocked by many mail providers (or networks) for security reasons, as they are considered a threat. What I would recommend as a quick solution here without incurring any costs is to zip the file (.ZIP) first and then attach it to the email. So it should be able to be sent without any problems.

To be on the safe side, recipients who want to open and use this file should save it to their PC and then use it with excel for web as you do (better safe than sorry).

If this does not work either, you should be able to take a closer look at the file, since VBA is also involved, it cannot be predicted which VBA code the file contains.

If all of this were to be totally wrong (conjectures and assumptions), as I said before, I would delete the file (without sensitive data).

Hope I was able to help you with this information.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)