Don't upgrade to iOS 11 if using the native email app

Trusted Contributor

Hopefully a very temporary situation but just to highlight that iPhone and iPads with iOS11 when using the native email app with Office 365 or Exchange Server 2016 (running on Windows Server 2016), won't be able to send or reply to emails.

Known Issue Email access in iOS 11.png

"In the native Mail app (Mail.app) on your iPhone or iPad, you can't send or reply from your Outlook.com, Office 365, or Exchange Server 2016 email account after you upgrade to iOS 11."

For obvious reasons, Microsoft recommends people affected by this issue use the Outlook for iOS client instead.  Microsoft and Apple are working on a fix.  For those running Exchange Server 2016, administrators can disable HTTP/2 in Windows Server 2016 as a workaround.

For further details - You can't send or reply from Outlook.com, Office 365, or Exchange 2016 in iOS 11 Mail.app

7 Replies

I upgraded this morning, and had no issues at all... same for at least one other person who upgraded yesterday when iOS 11 came out.

That's what some of our employees are reporting - they can still send and receive emails after upgrading to iOS 11.

@Emy Loanzon and @Teg Badhan - Thanks for the reports, as has been mentioned in other posts, Apple has confirmed the issue as well and said a fix will be in a forthcoming software update.  Not everyone is being affected by this so it might just be pot luck at the moment, as Microsoft deploy a fix or workaround across their infrastructure.

found this later on in the day:

https://www.petri.com/ios-11-exchange-not-kissing-cousins

sounds like MS haven't got round to patching all their servers yet, hence pot luck if it works or not.

Thanks for the info, @Teg Badhan. That could explain why some iOS 11 upgrades continue to work with the Apple native mail app accessing Exchange Online.

Does Microsoft have an ETA as to when Exchange servers will be patched and when the restriction to upgrade to iOS 11 will be lifted?

Not that I know of, I stopped looking after I saw that article, thoughts were to just give it time.

Just to confirm, this issue has now been fixed with the iOS 11.0.1 update that was released today.

www.000webhost.com