Today Data Exposed goes live at 9AM PT on LearnTV. Every 4 weeks, we’ll do a News Update. We’ll include product updates, videos, blogs, etc. as well as upcoming events and things to look out for. If you missed the episode, you can find them all at https://aka.ms/AzureSQLYT.
You can read this blog to get all the updates and references mentioned in the show. Here’s the January 2022 update:
Let’s start with Azure SQL Managed Instance. Right after Ignite, using distributed transactions (.NET and T-SQL) across multiple Azure SQL Managed Instances became generally available. This announcement helps with frictionless migrations and modern app development. In December, long-term retention for backups for up to 10 years became generally available, a capability much-anticipated since it’s been available in Azure SQL Database for a while. Also recently, service endpoint policies became available; Zoran Rilak came on the show to tell us all about it (docs and a demo).
For Azure SQL Database, the ability to configure backup storage redundancy to store backups on local, zone, or geo-redundant storage became generally available. Choice of location for your backup redundancy is important in giving you flexibility and control for availability or data sovereignty needs. For Azure SQL Hyperscale databases, SQL maintenance windows and advanced notifications are now in public preview for planned maintenance. Plus, for Hyperscale we just announced the public preview of support for auto-failover groups, and Emily Lisa came on the show to tell us about it!
Across Azure Synapse and Azure SQL Database, in December we introduced outbound firewall rules to storage accounts as generally available. Outbound firewall rules enable you to limit network traffic from Azure SQL to a customer defined lis....
Finally, across Azure SQL and SQL Server, in late November, we announced Azure SQL bindings for Azure Functions in public preview. With Azure SQL bindings, data can be input from a database to the function with an input binding and data can be output from the function to the database. Configuring these bindings is accomplished with a small number of parameters, including specification of the database query or table and the connection string.
Other database updates
Starting this year, I want to start including other database updates, from our open-source databases and Cosmos DB. Let’s see how it goes.
Azure Cosmos DB
Azure Database for PostgreSQL-Hyperscale (Citus)
Azure Database for PostgreSQL
Azure Database for MySQL
We continued to release new and exciting Azure SQL episodes this month. Here is the list, or you can just see the playlist we created with all the episodes!
- Lior Kamrat: Azure Arc-enabled Data Services Directly Connected Mode Breakdown
- [MVP Edition] Hamish Watson: KQL - The Next Query Language You Need to Learn
- Pam Lahoud, Priya Shan: Azure SQL VM: Best Price-Performance with Ebdsv5 Series (Ep.6)
- Pedro Lopes: Intelligent Query Processing in SQL Server 2022 (Ep.3)
- Bob Ward: SQL Server 2022: The cloud-connected database (Ep.2)
- [MVP Edition] Rob Sewell: From Nowt to Query in 10 minutes: Azure Arc–enabled data services SQL Managed Instance
- Parikshit Savjani: Top 3 Reasons to Consider Azure Database for MySQL – Flexible Server
- Henning Rauch: Azure Synapse Data Explorer for Log & Telemetry Management
- Denzil Ribeiro: Data Loading Best Practices on Azure SQL Database
- Bob Ward: Introduction to SQL Server 2022 (Ep.1)
We’ve also had some great Data Exposed Live sessions. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to see them all and get notified when we stream. Here are some of the recent live streams.
- Azure SQL & SQL Server 2022: Intelligent Database Futures
- Azure SQL News Update: Year in Review
- Welcome to SQL Server 2022 Live!
As always, our team is busy writing blogs to share with you all. Blogs contain announcements, tips and tricks, deep dives, and more. Here’s the list I have of SQL-related topics you might want to check out.
- Azure Blog, data-related
- Microsoft expands cloud services with two new datacenters in Wyoming, Sergio Loureiro
- Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave: Enterprise iPaaS, 2021, Naga Surendran
- Microsoft named a Leader in 2021 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Cloud DBMS Platforms, Rohan Kumar
- Azure Cost Management and Billing 2021 year in review, Michael Flanakin
- Discover what’s new to Microsoft database services—recap from Microsoft Ignite, Asad Khan
- SQL Server Tech Community
- Early technical preview of JDBC Driver 10.1.0 for SQL Server released
- Released: SCOM Management Packs for SQL Server, RS, AS, Azure SQL Managed Instance (188.8.131.52)
- Guidance on Apache Log4j Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
- Announcing new features for the SQL IaaS Agent Extension!
- Released: Update to Microsoft OLE DB Driver 18 for SQL Server
- How to create Linked server from SQL Server to Azure SQL Database
- Hotfix: JDBC Driver 9.4.1 for SQL Server Released
- Released: SQL Server 3rd Party Backend for Django v1.1
- Released: Public Preview for SQL Server Management Packs (184.108.40.206)
- Microsoft Drivers 5.10.0 Beta 2 for PHP for SQL Server Released
- Cumulative Update #14 for SQL Server 2019 RTM
- Released: General Availability of Microsoft.Data.SqlClient 4.0
- Microsoft SQL Server Blog
- Announcing SQL Server 2022 preview: Azure-enabled with continued performance and security innovation, Peter Carlin (CVP Azure Databases)
- Azure SQL Tech Community
- How-to find out addressable Disk Space & Files Number on General Purpose service tier on SQL MI
- Auto-failover groups for Azure SQL Hyperscale now in preview
- Azure Key Vault Managed HSM support for TDE BYOK now available for Azure SQL
- Guidance on Apache Log4j Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
- User-Assigned Managed Identity support for TDE BYOK for Azure SQL is in preview!
- Azure SQL Migration extension - December 2021 updates
- Azure SQL News Update: A Year in Review
- Introducing the New Speaker Library Initiative
- Azure Database Support (SQL-related posts)
- SQL Injection: example of SQL Injections and Recommendations to avoid it
- Learning from Expertise #8: Why cannot move SQL database from provisioned to serverless?!
- Cannot enable Advanced Threat Protection on Managed Instance server
- Lesson Learned #182: The server name provided doesn't match the server name on the SQL Server SSL
- Learning from Expertise #7: Where is my server storage taken - Azure PostgreSQL?
- Learnings from the Trenches - Unable to query sys table via Linked Server
- Lesson Learned #181: Reading a JSON compressed file from OPENROWSET function from Azure SQL Database
- Lesson Learned #180: Creating a retry-logic for TSQL command execution.
- Lesson Learned #179: Why is important to have a correct command execution error handling?
- Learning from Expertise #6: Where is my server storage taken - Azure MySQL?
- Get creation dates of all Azure resources under an Azure subscription
- Imported database is smaller than original database
- InvalidMaxSizeTierCombination error while performing scaling up operation
- Create table and and insert into within same transaction blocks sys.tables catalog view
- Learning from Expertise #5: Ops! What should I do after accidentally deleted SQL DB Server?
- Cannot find the Azure Active Directory object '' when perform management operations on SQL Managed I...
As always, there are a lot of events coming up. Here are a few to put on your calendar and register for from the Azure Data team:
- Hands-On Lab: Build Serverless, Full Stack Applications Including IoT with Azure SQL, presented by Davide Mauri & Bob Ward
- How to Build Secure, Scalable, and Highly Available Applications with Azure SQL Database, presented by Bob Ward
- Jamstack Foundations: Building Scalable API from the Ground Up, presented by Davide Mauri
Featured Microsoft Learn Module
Learn with us! This month I highlighted the module: Introduction to Azure Arc-enabled data services (https://aka.ms/learnazurearcdata). In this module, you'll learn the fundamentals of hybrid computing and Azure Arc. You will also learn the basics of Azure Arc-enabled data services including the overall architecture. Then you will learn the capabilities of Azure Arc-enabled SQL Managed Instance and PostgreSQL Hyperscale.
Anna’s Pick of the Month
The year has just started, but you want to make sure you’re caught up on all the 2021 news. Last month, we did a news update containing all of the updates across Azure SQL, SQL Server, and Azure Arc data services in the year 2021. You can review it here: https://aka.ms/NewsUpdate2021. I hope you find it useful!
Until next time…
That’s it for now! Be sure to check back next month for the latest updates on LearnTV. We also release new episodes on Thursdays at 9AM PST and new #MVPTuesday episodes on the last Tuesday of every month at 9AM PST at aka.ms/DataExposedyt.
Having trouble keeping up? Be sure to follow us on twitter to get the latest updates on everything, @AzureSQL.
We hope to see you next time, on Data Exposed :)
--Anna and Marisa